Vol 5 | Issue 2 | July-December 2020 | page: 08-11 | Rohan Bhargava, Parag Sancheti, Ashok Shyam, Sahil Sanghvi
Authors: Rohan Bhargava , Parag Sancheti , Ashok Shyam [1, 2],
Sahil Sanghvi 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Sancheti Institute for Orthopaedic & Rehabilitation, Pune, India.
 Indian Orthopaedic Research Group, Thane, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Rohan Bhargava,
Department of Orthopaedics, Sancheti Institute for Orthopaedic & Rehabilitation, Pune, India.
Background: ACL reconstruction is one of the most frequently performed surgery in orthopedic sports medicine. Due to the several advantages offered by hamstring autografts, they are preferred in the majority of the centers all over the globe. Choosing the appropriate diameter for a hamstring graft has always been a dilemma for surgeons. This study aims to review the recent literature which describes the outcomes associated with different hamstring graft diameters and how to choose the appropriate graft diameter for ACL reconstruction .
Methods: Recent articles were searched on search engines such as PubMed, Google Scholar, and additionally by checking references of various articles.
Summary: Hamstring grafts of less than 8mm in diameter are associated with higher chances of failure and revision surgery whereas graft sizes that were larger than their native ligament leads to another set of complications. In recent studies, attempts are made to restore the native anatomy of the ACL which involves choosing the graft diameter that would serve to recapitulate the natural morphology and biomechanics of the ACL but the clinical implications of the same are yet to be studied
Keywords: ACL reconstruction; Hamstring graft; Graft diameter; Anatomical ACL re-construction; Minimum hamstring graft diameter.
1. Yu B, Garrett WE. Mechanisms of non-contact ACL injuries. British journal of sports medicine. 2007 Aug 1;41(suppl 1):i47-51.
2. Granan LP, Forssblad M, Lind M, Engebretsen L. The Scandinavian ACL registries 2004–2007: baseline epidemiology. Acta orthopaedica. 2009 Oct 1;80(5):563-7.
3. Magnussen RA, Lawrence JTR, West RL et al: Graft size and patient age are predictors of early revision after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstring autograft. Arthroscopy, 2012; 28(4): 526–31
4.Conte EJ, Hyatt AE, Gatt CJ, Dhawan A: Hamstring autograft size can be predicted and is a potential risk factor for anterior cruciate ligament re- construction failure. Arthroscopy, 2014; 30(7): 882–90
5.Park SY, Oh H, Park S et al: Factors predicting hamstring tendon autograft diameters and resulting failure rates after anterior cruciate ligament re- construction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthroscm 2013; 21(5): 1111–18
6.Van der Bracht H, Bellemans J, Victor J, Verhelst L, Page B,Verdonk P (2013) Can a tibial tunnel in ACL surgery be placed anatomically without impinging on the femoral notch? A risk factor analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 22(2):291–297
7.LaPrade CM, Smith SD, Rasmussen MT, Hamming MG,Wijdicks CA, Engebretsen L, Feagin JA, LaPrade RF (2015) Consequences of tibial tunnel reaming on the meniscal roots during cruciate ligament reconstruction in a cadaveric model, part 1: the anterior cruciate ligament. Am J Sports Med 43:200–206
8.Kondo E, Yasuda K, Azuma H, Tanabe Y, Yagi T (2008) Prospective clinical compari-sons of anatomic double-bundle versus single-bundle anterior cruciate ligament recon-struction procedures in 328 consecutive patients. Am J Sports Med 36:1675–1687
9. Muneta T, Koga H, Mochizuki T et al (2007) A prospective randomized study of 4-strand semitendinosus tendon anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction comparing single-bundle and double bundle techniques. Arthroscopy 23:618– 628
10. Niki Y, Matsumoto H, Hakozaki A, Kanagawa H, Toyama Y, Suda Y (2011) Anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using bone- patellar tendon-bone and gracilis tendon graft: a comparative study with 2- year follow-up results of se-mitendinosus tendon grafts alone or semitendinosus-gracilis tendon grafts. Arthroscopy 27:1242–12
11.Shino K, Nakata K, Nakamura N et al (2008) Rectangular tunnel double- bundle ante-rior cruciate ligament reconstruction with bone-patellar tendon- bone graft to mimic natu-ral fiber arrangement. Arthroscopy 24:1178–1183
12.Yasuda K, Kondo E, Ichiyama H, Tanabe Y, Tohyama H (2006) Clinical evaluation of anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction procedure using ham-string tendon grafts: comparisons among 3 different procedures. Arthroscopy 22:240–251.
13. Clatworthy M. Graft Diameter matters in Hamstring ACL reconstruction. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine. 2016 Jul 22;4(7_suppl5):2325967116S00082.
14. Westermann RW, Wolf BR, Elkins JM. Effect of ACL reconstruction graft size on simu-lated Lachman testing: a finite element analysis. The Iowa orthopaedic journal. 2013;33:70
15. Gupta R, Kapoor A, Soni A, Khatri S, Masih GD, Mittal N. Does hamstring tendon graft diameter affect the outcome of anterior cruciate ligament surgery?. Sports Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 2019 Jun 1;35(2):166-70.
16. Jurkonis R, Gudas R, Smailys A. Influence of Graft Diameter on Functional Outcomes After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Prospective Study with a 1-Year Fol-low-Up. Medical science monitor: international medical journal of experimental and clini-cal research. 2018;24:4339.
17. van Eck CF, Lesniak BP, Schreiber VM, Fu FH. Anatomic single-and double- bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction flowchart. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthro-scopic & Related Surgery. 2010 Feb 1;26(2):258-68.
18. Siebold R, Schuhmacher P. Restoration of the tibial ACL footprint area and geometry using the Modified Insertion Site Table. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2012 Sep 1;20(9):1845-9.
19. Middleton KK, Muller B, Araujo PH, Fujimaki Y, Rabuck SJ, Irrgang JJ, Tashman S, Fu FH. Is the native ACL insertion site “completely restored” using an individualized ap-proach to single-bundle ACL-R?. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2015 Aug 1;23(8):2145-50.
20. Cerulli G, Placella G, Sebastiani E, Tei MM, Speziali A, Manfreda F. ACL reconstruc-tion: choosing the graft. Joints. 2013 Mar;1(1):18
21. Spragg L, Chen J, Mirzayan R, Love R, Maletis G. The effect of autologous hamstring graft diameter on the likelihood for revision of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. The American journal of sports medicine. 2016 Jun;44(6):1475-81.
|How to Cite this Article: Bhargava R, Sancheti P, Shyam A, Sanghvi S | A Review Article on Recent Trends in Choosing The Appropriate Hamstring Graft Diameter for ACL Reconstruction | Journal of Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation | 2020 July-December; 5(2): 08-11.|